Established in 1951, the Wisconsin Health Care Association & Wiscon Center for Assisted Living (WHCA/WICAL) is a non-profit organization dedicated to representing, protecting and advancing the interests of Wisconsin’s long-term care provider community and the residents they serve. WHCA/WiCAL is Wisconsin’s most representative association of post-acute care facilities, including skilled nursing facilities, therapy centers, and assisted living facilities, as it does not restrict membership to any particular segment of the provider community. In addition to its advocacy on behalf of its members, staff and residents, WHCA/WiCAL strives to provide its membership with the benefits of affiliation through the development and dissemination of information, training, and quality improvement assistance.
Click to view the 2020 Member Resource Guide, which has an overview of all of the excellent services that WHCA/WiCAL offers its members.
STAFF: WHCA’s success in representing its membership is in large part attributable to its fine professional staff, which possesses both the credentials and experience necessary for effective representation. The staff includes three former state Capitol staffers, an attorney with extensive experience in health law in both public and private sectors, an expert in reimbursement policy with a Masters Degrees in Public Affairs, and a former nursing home administrator with more than 30 years of professional health care experience and is nationally recognized for her expertise in LTC clinical and operational matters. All staff are readily accessible to the membership and their employees to assist in resolving their individual and collective concerns.
COMMUNICATIONS: WHCA/WiCAL offers members up-to-date information using direct membership communications in print and electronic media. As a member of our statewide network of long-term and post-acute care providers, you have access to all of the news and information that you need to know as an assisted living or skilled nursing facility provider.
- CareConnection: The weekly electronic newsletter, CareConnection, has an on-
- line presence that is updated daily;
- Continuum: WHCA/WiCAL’s semi-annual trade publication Continuum offers feature articles on the trends that are important to Wisconsin’s long-term and post-acute care provider community;
- Membership Directory: The annual Membership Directory, which is distributed as an insert to Continuum, provides the contact information for your colleagues in the field of long-term and post-acute care;
- Member Alerts: WHCA/WiCAL sends out announcements on important issues that need immediate action from members of Wisconsin’s long-term and post-acute care provider community;
- Member Memos: WHCA/WiCAL sends out regular notifications on important issues that Wisconsin’s long-term and post-acute care provider community need to be informed;
- Website: The WHCA Members Only sections of www.whcawical.org provide direct links to all the regulatory resources that you need as a long-term or post-acute care provider;
- Membership Forum: The WHCA/WiCAL Membership Forum is an on-line resource for direct member-to-member collaboration on the regulatory and operational challenges that assisted living and skilled nursing facility providers address on a daily basis;
- WHCA/WiCAL Video Spotlight: The weekly web-based video series Video Spotlight keeps members up-to-date on issues, offerings, and developments important to WHCA/WiCAL Members.
- Social Media: WHCA/WiCAL’s social media presence keeps members aware of the articles and events that staff are following. Follow WHCA/WiCAL on: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
EDUCATION: Through educational seminars, conventions, and public relations projects, WHCA/WiCAL strives to continually afford its membership and the public the education and information critical to attainment of our primary goal of enhancement of quality care for the residents we serve. Click HERE to view what current educational seminars are available.
WHCA/WiCAL SERVICE CORPORATION: As a team of professional and compassion long-term health care providers, the mission of the WHCA/WiCAL Service Corporation is designed to advance quality, value and professionalism of long-term care providers through education to enhance long-term care for the benefit of residents, employees and the long-term care provider community.
Click HERE to view an informational flyer on the WHCA/WiCAL Service Corporation.
Services available to members include:
- Navigator Group Purchasing: Navigator Group Purchasing, Inc. is the experienced leader in skilled nursing, senior living, and CCRC purchasing services, delivering savings and cash flow improvements to its members. Navigator members have access to the largest and most comprehensive group purchasing portfolio of food, medical and business programs, innovative services, and management tools.
- HealthCap Risk Management & Insurance: HealthCap is the premier member-owned insurance program providing liability insurance to senior care communities. HealthCap has provided broad and stable coverage to its members since 2001 and leads the industry in risk management and claim management services. Healthcap’s comprehensive risk management services provide on-site risk consulting, education, and 24-hour support. HealthCap clients have both lower claims frequency and lower claims severity than other major liability insurance carriers. HealthCap is an endorsed carrier of the American Health Care Association and the National Center for Assisted Living. Members of AHCA/NCAL receive a 10% discount.
- AHCA – Infection Preventionist Specialized Training (IPCO): AHCA is pleased to offer a specialized training certification program for healthcare professionals who desire to serve as Infection Preventionists (IPs) as established in the CMS Reform of Requirements of Participation for Long-Term Care Facilities (required by November 2019). Through this program, individuals will be specially trained to effectively implement and manage an Infection Prevention and Control Program in a nursing home.
- AM Solutions: As a leading marketing services provider in the print and graphics industry, specializing as a “one-stop shop”, we provide in house production capabilities from creative design, on-demand ink-jet digital and commercial printing, full service direct mail, large format printing, branded merchandise, state of the art e-commerce platforms, warehousing and fulfillment.
The association’s strength is in successfully identifying and resolving the many complex issues confronting Wisconsin’s long-term and post-acute care provider community. A group of our membership that is central to these efforts is the WHCA/WiCAL Business Partners. These individuals, firms and organizations provide professional services critically necessary and intimately linked to achievement of the quality of care that our member facilities are dedicated to providing. Their support and participation in the association gives WHCA/WiCAL the means to identify and advance comprehensive approaches best suited to the individual and collective interests of its members, their employees and residents.
It should also be noted WHCA/WiCAL’s proactive presence is not limited to Madison. The statewide association is comprised of 12 districts, the membership of which meet regularly to discuss their individual and collective concerns. This organization on the district level assures that problems and concerns, be they individual, regional or statewide, can be readily identified and remedied.
WHCA/WiCAL is committed to advocacy, education and excellence in and for the long-term and post-acute care provider community in the State of Wisconsin. We are always looking to expand our membership as we are stronger as a community when we work together and speak with one voice.
If you would like to become a member or associate member of our organization, please feel free to contact our offices at (608) 257-0125, contact Director of Development, Jena Jackson, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit our Join page to learn more.